I always find myself complaining about winter. It’s cold, windy, grey, cold…. But really, there are some good things that come along with it… ahem, not sure what.. so I’ll probably end this post on a positive note once I find good things to say about winter. In the mean time… here’s my top 5 reasons why I’m not a fan of Old Man Winter:
- Getting out of your nice warm bed in the morning. IMPOSSIBLE. Sometimes I wake up and find my nose to be cold… The warm bed is always so much more inviting than that cold tile floor in the bathroom. And speaking of cold tile floors, I feel like getting out of a hot shower in the winter falls under this category. Shaved legs? Nope, already got goose bumps and can feel my hair growing again. It’s like regrowing my hair as quickly as possible is my body’s defense mechanism to stay warm. Sometimes, when I’m reaallllyy cold, I sneak out of the shower with the water still running so that the steam keeps heating the bathroom.
- Driving. You gotta take your time in the winter. Depending on how much snow there is, sometimes you have to add a good 30 minutes to get wherever you’re going. That’s kind of annoying. Even the slightest amount of slippery snow on the ground take a little too fast will result in your car spinning out of control down the road. That’s the part where you PRAY no one else is driving towards you. (…not that I know from experience or anything). And with driving, comes the responsibility of scraping your car. I don’t know about you all, but I love waking up an extra 20 minutes early to spend quality time with my car, scraping it in the frigid early morning hours. And to mention when your door freezes shut overnight. THEN WHAT? That’s what trunks are for, to get into your car when you can’t get in via the door. ugh.
- The wind. Enough said… I think that’s really what makes winter so cold… apart from the freezing temperatures, of course.
- Winter makes me feel cooped up. I mean, I still can get outside and go for a run, but it doesn’t quite have that same appeal as it does on a sunny, 70 degree day, ya know? I do a lot more sitting in my bed wrapped in a blanket than in the summer. I like to get outside whenever I can!
- The fact that I have to wear pants. Winter means pants. I hate wearing pants.
And now, as promised, the good.
- That first snow of the year. It’s always exciting to see the big, fat flakes falling from the sky. I actually forget about the cold that’s coming and truly enjoy it. It’s pretty. I will admit. Right as soon as the snow falls, it’s like a gentle blanket covering the earth. Once you add in the salt and slush and footprints, well that’s a different story.
- HOT CHOCOLATE. nom nom and all of those other delicious warm drinks that come with the winter season.
- Running in the snow. It’s fun to get outside and get fresh air in the winter after being caged inside all the time. It’s kind of a pain to get dressed and put on all the clothes, but it is always worth it. Plus I get to appreciate the beauty of all the snow.
- Sitting inside by a fireplace reading a book or watching a movie. HOW ENJOYABLE.
- Sledding, skiing, snowball fights, building snowmen/ snow forts.
Okay, so maybe winter really isn’t that bad after all. Sorry for being such a pessimist. Won’t happen anymore, promise. : )